Thursday, July 29, 2010

(Black)Berry Picking

Up until April I was a proud BlackBerry user and it was hard letting go of my first smartphone, but I finally did and I have to say I do love my Droid Incredible and the Android operating system. Still, it is always tough watching companies like Google and Apple continuously update their operating systems to keep up with the times and watching RIM drag its feet because BlackBerrys truly are great, comfortable phones, even if you're not using it for business.

What's this? A light on the horizon? Yes folks, BlackBerry is close to releasing it's operating system version 6.0 and to me it looks very good. Thanks to Driphter.com and WillyBoy6 we have our first look at not only BlackBerry's new OS 6.0 but the new BlackBerry Bold 9780 (coming soon to AT&T)! I've included the video below so you can see it in action.



I, for one, love the new layout. Being able to scroll side to side for different pages is very nice and organized (much like swiping screens on the iPhone / Android phones) and it looks impressively fast and responsive. The scrolling on the browser looked a little sluggish but once the whole page had been explored it seemed fine. You can also follow the next link to CNET.com's up close and personal photo gallery of the new OS 6.0.

Even better news? Looks like RIM is giving it another go in terms of a touchscreen BlackBerry. This is the BlackBerry 9800 Slider, a touch screen BlackBerry much the same size as the Curve / Tour but with a sliding keyboard. The screen looks fantastic and the keyboard is pretty much the same size as the new Curve's when fully exposed. CNET.com reports that the handset should be on sale mid-August of this year with a price tag estimated at $200 with a 2-year contract after rebates. Enjoy the pictures =)


Source: BerryTimes.cn

In other news (and I hate to beat a dead horse), Apple has added the Motorola Droid X to both its Smartphone Antenna Performance website and its YouTube channel. The video, like the others on its website, demonstrates that the iPhone is not the only phone that loses service when held "the wrong way". You can see the effect on signal strength roughly 5 seconds into the video. Now, let me preface this by saying that I am a little skeptical of some of these video demonstrations because to me it looks like the person holding the phone is choking it to death, BUT it still is good of Apple to let its consumers know that they are not the only ones affected by signal attenuation caused by holding the phone a specific way.

Well, that's it for today! I hope you BlackBerry owners are excited! Hopefully some more interesting news tomorrow! Until next time, enjoy this video, it's an oldie, but a goodie!


No comments:

Post a Comment